Thursday, April 16, 2009

Australian Comfort Food

Last week Lauren and I decided to go out for dinner and I was in the mood for something tasty, hearty and just plain delicious. As we had the use of a car we decided to head to the inner-city suburb of Fitzroy, which is only about a 10-15 minute drive from where we live. We went to the Napier Hotel, a pub which is not on a major street. You would have to know where it is located to go there.
The Napier Hotel
It's a place which serves hearty pub food, Australia pub food at a great price. You can get Chicken Schnitzel sandwich, Lamb shanks, Steak Sandwich's, Seafood, Curries, Pasta and variety of other food listed on the blackboard specials and what Lauren and I came for the Kangaroo.

This isn't your typical pub, the food served at the Napier is of high quality and relatively cheap for the amount you get.


For the first year I was in Australia, I did not have Kangaroo. It wasn't until sometime probably in the second half of 2008 when I first had Kangaroo. I had it at the Napier and was it ever delicious.


The Kangaroo is severed like a steak, about 3 small thick pieces. It is served medium and it is tender, it is marinated in oil and black pepper. It is served with a bearnaise sauce and comes with shoestring fries and a green salad. The salad is made up mostly of various type of lettuce, a few slices of cumber and tomatoes.


The taste of the kangaroo with the bearnaise sauce and the shoe string fries is a taste to die for. It is so tasty that you just want to keep eating and eating and you don't want the feeling and taste to stop. But alas it must but you can wash it down with a local (Melbourne/Victoria) or Australian beer or a very tasty Lemon, Lime and Bitters, my drink of choice at the Napier.


The Napier pub is one of those pubs which is welcoming, friendly and serves great food. Now when I want some comfort food or just a good feed, the Napier Hotel is my first choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'd also check out the specials board at the Napier- they do some really beautiful things at ridiculously cheap prices! And a great wine list too.